19 August 2010

9 (2009)

Only a year after Wall-E, the dystopian post-apocalyptic animation "9" hit the screens with none other than Tim Burton among the producers. As a big fan of course I'm excited!

9 is (obviously) the nineth creation of a scientist, predicting that man would eventually lose the war against machine. Giving them not only life, but actual souls, these puppet-like creatures are the last hope to fight the robots and save the world.

To make action out of animation must be difficult, especially when trying to maintain the 'cute' mask. My guess is that these creatures somehow represent children, supporting the constant double meaning that "children are our future" (the tagline on the cover is 'When our world ended, their mission began'). It is cute, but I get a bit genre-confused. On the other hand - amazing animation! The creativity on evil robots is never ending.

Yeah, we got it, robots are bad. The references to both communism and nazism are also very obvious, with warnings that great wars can have even greater consequences. I'm missing the cool score from the trailer, and some of the action is a bit obvious (there's more scares and jumps than actual action), but all in all I really liked it. Didn't even check the time once.

Runtime: 79 min
Starring: Elijah Wood, John C. Reilly, Christopher Plummer, Jennifer Connelly

No comments:

Post a Comment