13 August 2010

Nine (2009)

From the director of Chicago comes another fiery crossing between drama and musical, nominated to 5 Oscars.

Set in Rome, Italy in the 1960s, the movie portrays the famous movie director Guido Contini (Day-Lewis) who struggles to finish his newest screenplay. Massively distracted by beautiful women throwing themselves at him everywhere, not to mention delusional and out-of-control narcissism, Contini is heading towards breakdown.

I love musicals. I love musical adaptations to film as well, and I absolutely loved Chicago. This however... With a crew this impressive and a story about a passionate Italian surrounded by beautiful women, it's almost hard to understand how it all became so dull... All the time I was holding out for a great musical act, one that I would watch again and again on YouTube (like Cell Block Tango), but no such luck.

There are a few points of light; Judi Dench is fantastic. Costumes and sets are most of the time really good. Marion Cotillard, beautiful as ever, is good as Contini's wife, but unfortunately she can't dance or sing... Nicole Kidman is well cast, but her character is just too small to matter. Well... Mostly its just chaotic and disconnected. You really gotta love movie musicals to swallow this one.

Runtime: 118 mins
Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Fergie, Sophia Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment